Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLog inPORTALGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegister
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 281 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:53 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Bush critic Krugman wins 2008 Nobel for economics...........

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chief_Adviser

Chief_Adviser

Male
Number of posts : 615
City/Town : in ur heart .
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Bush critic Krugman wins 2008 Nobel for economics........... Empty
PostSubject: Bush critic Krugman wins 2008 Nobel for economics...........   Bush critic Krugman wins 2008 Nobel for economics........... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Bush critic Krugman wins 2008 Nobel for economics........... Top3210

US economist Paul Krugman, a critic of the Bush administration for policies that he argues led to the current financial crisis, won the 2008 Nobel prize for economics, the prize committee said on Monday.

The committee awarded Krugman the prize for work that helps explain why some countries dominate international trade.

A prominent economist who writes columns for the New York Times, Krugman has long featured among the favorites to win a Nobel. He is a professor of economics and international affairs at Princeton University in the United States.

Krugman, speaking by telephone to a news conference, was caught on the hop by the news.

"I rushed to take a shower so that I could take part in the press conference. I called my wife and I called my parents. I've not yet managed to get myself a cup of coffee," he said.

Krugman has been heavily critical of President George W. Bush's administration.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said the prestigious 10 million crown ($1.4 million) award recognized Krugman's formulation of a new theory that addresses what drives world-wide urbanization.

"He has thereby integrated the previously disparate research fields of international trade and economic geography," the committee said.

"Krugman's approach is based on the premise that many goods and services can be produced more cheaply in a long series, a concept generally known as economies of scale," it said.

"Meanwhile, consumers demand a varied supply of goods. As a result, small-scale production for a local market is replaced by large-scale production for the world market, where firms with similar products compete with one another."

Krugman's theory clarifies why trade is dominated by countries that not only have similar conditions but also trade in similar products. The committee cited Sweden as an example as it both exports and imports cars.

"This kind of trade enables specialization and large-scale production, which result in lower prices and a greater diversity of commodities."

The economics prize, officially called the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, was established in the 1960s and is not part of the original group of awards set out in Alfred Nobel's 1895 will.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deshianondo.com

Bush critic Krugman wins 2008 Nobel for economics...........
Page 1 of 1