Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLog inPORTALGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegister
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 281 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:53 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

`tsunami' kills 52 after Indonesia dam breaks...............

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chief_Adviser

Chief_Adviser

Male
Number of posts : 615
City/Town : in ur heart .
Registration date : 2008-06-10

`tsunami' kills 52 after Indonesia dam breaks............... Empty
PostSubject: `tsunami' kills 52 after Indonesia dam breaks...............   `tsunami' kills 52 after Indonesia dam breaks............... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 1:27 pm

`tsunami' kills 52 after Indonesia dam breaks............... Top130

A wall of water from a burst dam killed 52 people on the outskirts of the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Friday, crashing into hundreds of homes while many residents slept, officials said.

While landslides and floods are common during the rainy season in Indonesia, the latest disaster was probably caused by torrential rain and poor maintenance, some officials said, reflecting years of under-investment in much of the country's crucial infrastructure.

The dam, which retained water in Lake Situ Gintung in Tangerang District, 20 km (12 miles) southwest of Jakarta, dated from the 1930s in the Dutch colonial era, according to local media reports.

"The dam was an old dam, 16 meters deep," said Ratu Atut Chosiyah, governor of Banten province, where the lake is located.

"Last night, because of heavy rain, the dam could not hold back the water so it broke," she added.

Lukman Farid, a resident, told Reuters Television the water rushed past his house around dawn.

"I was in front of my door and I saw my neighbor tried to drive his car. But the water was turbulent, fast, and in seconds it was already high. The water was about 2.5 meters at the time."

Rustam Pakaya, a health ministry official, said 52 bodies had been recovered, while hundreds of houses were under 2 meters (7 feet) of floodwater.

"Hundreds of houses are flooded, tens of houses damaged, it was like a small tsunami," he said.

Rescuers retrieved the dead and injured using inflatable boats or waded through floodwater that in some areas came up to their chests.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono cut short a trip to West Java province, where he was campaigning ahead of April 9 parliamentary elections, to visit the disaster scene and offer condolences to the victims.

Vice President Jusuf Kalla went to the area earlier on Friday and promised the government would repair the dam immediately and provide help with rebuilding homes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deshianondo.com

`tsunami' kills 52 after Indonesia dam breaks...............
Page 1 of 1