Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLog inPORTALGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegister
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 281 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:53 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw

Go down 
AuthorMessage
xFile
Administrator
Administrator
xFile

Male
Number of posts : 240
City/Town : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw Empty
PostSubject: Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw   Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw 25561_1 Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, who was the Chief of the Bangladesh-India Joint Force during the War of Liberation in 1971, died at the age of 94, officials said on Friday.
He led his country to victory against Pakistan in 1971 resulting in the emergence of Bangladesh as an independent state after a nine-month bloody war.
Celebrated as a master strategist, Sam died of illness at a military hospital in southern India in the early hours of yesterday, the Defence Ministry said.

Manekshaw joined the military when India was under British rule and led a counter-offensive against the Japanese Army in Burma, now Myanmar, during World War II. He is best remembered for his role in the India-Pakistan war of 1971.

"He masterminded the rout of the Pakistan Army in one of the quickest victories in recent military history," the Defence Ministry said in a statement.

"Field Marshal Manekshaw was without doubt one of India's greatest soldiers and a truly inspiring leader," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said in condolence message.

The government has announced a state funeral for Manekshaw.

In 1973, only a fortnight before he retired, he was promoted to the rank of Field Marshal, one of only two Indian army generals to rise to the post.

Sam Manekshaw was born in Amritsar in 1914.

A documentary film made about him. In one sequence Field Marshal Manekshaw recalls how, following the 1971 war against Pakistan, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi confronted him about rumours that he was planning a coup against her.

"Don't you think I would not be a worthy replacement for you Madam prime minister? You have a long nose, so have I. I don't poke my nose in other people's affairs," he joked.

In the film, Field Marshal Manekshaw also said that India lost a golden opportunity to solve the Kashmir issue once and for all at the Shimla summit with Pakistan which was held soon after the 1971 war.

In retirement, the Field Marshal remained reticent and eager to keep a low profile despite being much adored by his countrymen.

He recently refused to comment on the war in Iraq despite a huge gathering of journalists bombarding him with questions.

Sam Manekshaw, who had been battling a series of illnesses, died at a military hospital in Wellington in the southern state of Tamil Nadu, where he had lived since retiring.

Indian Defence Minister AK Antony said the nation "had lost a great soldier, a true patriot and a noble son".
Back to top Go down
http://www.lamsy.com

Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
Page 1 of 1