Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLog inPORTALGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegister
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 22 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 22 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 281 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:53 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

PM seeks UN assistance to try war criminals...............

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chief_Adviser

Chief_Adviser

Male
Number of posts : 615
City/Town : in ur heart .
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PM seeks UN assistance to try war criminals............... Empty
PostSubject: PM seeks UN assistance to try war criminals...............   PM seeks UN assistance to try war criminals............... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:26 pm

PM seeks UN assistance to try war criminals............... Top1114

Prime minister Sheikh Hasina has sought assistance from the United Nations in holding trial of war criminals, the PM's office said on Tuesday.

"Prosecuting the war criminals has become a national demand and we have included the issue in our election manifesto," said the prime minister in a meeting with UNDP's resident representative Renata Lok Dessalien at PM's office on Tuesday.

Dessalien said the Bangladesh government should study how other countries across the world handled the issue of war criminals so that Bangladesh can avoid unfortunate experiences.

The two-time PM also sought UNDP's assistance in imparting training to new MPs for making the parliamentary system more effective.

Hasina informed Dessalien that MPs should have some role in the Upazila local government system, for the welfare of the people as well as overall development of the country.

On election of a deputy speaker from the major opposition party, Hasina said the opposition did not propose a candidate for the post before the election according to the rules of business.

"We can not propose on behalf of them," said the PM.

On the post-election scenario the prime minister said Awami League leaders and activists were asked to show restraint and not take the law into their own hands.

"During the rule of four-party alliance government our leaders and workers were subjected to inhuman torture and repression. It was very difficult for me to keep them calm. But they obeyed my order and did not go for reprisal," Hasina informed Dessalien.

Dessalien stressed reconciliation among political parties through bringing qualitative changes.

"It would be very challenging for the new government to bring back the peace of development as the country was under an undemocratic government for so long," Dessalien remarked.

In response, the prime minister said it would not be very difficult for the government as her government believes in the strength of the people, who are the source of all power.

Hasina also said she was confident in development on all socio-economic fronts.

In this regard she referred to the 1996-2001 tenure of the Awami League government and said despite consecutive hartals by the opposition, her government had achieved a tremendous success in developing the country in all sectors.

The PMO secretary Kazi Aminul Islam and PM's press secretary Abul Kalam Azad were present at the meeting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deshianondo.com

PM seeks UN assistance to try war criminals...............
Page 1 of 1